Love essential oils? Or are you brand new to the oily world? Whether you’re a newcomer or have been around for a while, here are some awesome essential oil hacks and tips for making your life better with essential oils.
1. Room refresher spray
Combine 5 drops of essential oil with 2 oz water in a spray bottle. Spritz over fabric or into the middle of the room to freshen the air.
2. No more stinky feet
Have terrible-smelling shoes (like my son’s hand-me-downs)?
Here are two options:
- Combine 2 tablespoons baking soda and 5 drops of essential oil. (Purification is a great option.) Sprinkle in shoes, leave overnight (or longer), and then shake out the baking soda.
- Put 1-2 drops of essential oil on each of 2 cotton balls. Put a cotton ball in each shoe to refresh.
3. Bug off spray
Before going outside in the summer, combine 1.5 oz witch hazel, 2 ounces water, and essential oils in a spray bottle. Spray onto skin before enjoying the outdoors.
Try one of these blends:
- Purification (contains citronella)
- 15 drops citronella, 5 drops cedarwood, 5 drops eucalyptus globulus
4. Freshen laundry
If you forget your laundry in the washing machine, add 10 drops to your machine when you rewash to make it smell fresh again.
You can also get rid of dryer sheets by using wool dryer balls instead. Wool dryer balls reduce drying time, eliminate static, and leave your clothes soft and fresh.
Add 3-4 drops of essential oil to each dryer ball. Reapply every 2-4 loads.
5. Non-toxic fabric softener
Conventional fabric softeners are full of nasty chemicals that can disrupt your health.
For the same effect without toxins, add a drop or two of essential oil to a cup of white vinegar and add it to your washer with your clothes.
6. End-of-day foot massage
7. Get some shuteye
Pick one or two of these essential oils for sleep. Put a couple drops on a tissue and tuck it inside your pillowcase. Easy-peasy, no diffuser required!
8. Freshen with the vacuum
Essential oils in the vacuum will freshen the entire house every time you use it.
Try one of these tricks:
- put a few drops of essential oil on a piece of napkin or tissue and then vacuum it up
- put essential oils on a cotton ball and put the cotton ball in the vacuum bag
- drop essential oils directly into your vacuum bag when you change it
- drop essential oils onto the washable filter if you have a bagless vacuum
9. Freshen while you mop
10. DIY car diffuser
No need for a toxin-laden “tree” air freshener hanging from your rearview mirror. Try one of these hacks instead.
- Put a few drops of essential oil on a tissue and place it on the dash of your car where the sun will warm it.
- Put 2-3 drops of essential oil on a wooden clothespin and clip it to the car’s air vents.
- If you’re feeling crafty, make your own super cute car vent diffuser out of clay using the tutorial here.
11. Hands-free bathroom air freshener
Put 4-5 drops of essential oil on the cardboard tube inside your toilet paper roll. Every time someone uses the toilet paper, it will release its scent into the room.
12. Easy clothes freshening
You can also apply a few drops of cedarwood to a few cotton balls for homemade moth balls.
13. Remove grease stains from clothing
You can try this one with or without baking soda. Lemon is an awesome grease cutter, and baking soda helps to stick to the grease and lift out the stain.
- If you’re not using baking soda, rub in a few drops of lemon essential oil and then wash as usual. When the cycle is done, check that the stain is gone and repeat if needed.
- To use baking soda, just sprinkle it on the stain and then add a few drops of lemon essential oil. After about an hour you should be able to scrape off the grease and wash normally.
14. DIY scented lotion
Scented lotions often contain synthetic fragrances with chemicals that can be harmful to your health (like disrupting your hormone balance).
Make your own scented lotion by adding a 4-8 drops of your favorite essential oil to a bottle of unscented lotion.
15. De-stink the trash
Next time you empty the trash, put 2-4 drops of your favorite essential oil on a cotton ball and drop it in the trashcan before putting in the new bag. Purification is great for this!
16. Freshen the whole house
Next time you change your HVAC system’s air filter, add 15-20 drops of essential oil to the new filter before installing it.
17. Quick-clean the microwave
Nobody likes a dirty microwave. But you can make cleanup fast and easy by zapping a bowlful of water and 5 drops of lemon essential oil for about 5 minutes.
Wipe of the loosened debris with a cloth, and done.
18. Remove permanent marker or crayon
Sometimes kids get a little carried away with their artwork… Fortunately, lemon essential oil is a workhorse.
Put a couple drops on a rag and scrub the marks off the wall, table, chairs, whatever.
19. Get rid of stickies
No need for Goo-Gone if you have lemon essential oil. Rub a couple drops on the spot to get off sticker residue, gum, or whatever sticky stuff you need gone.
20. Creepy-crawlies no more
Ants, spiders, and lots of other critters hate the smell of peppermint.
Combine 10-15 drops of peppermint essential oil with water in a spray bottle and spray corners, entryways, baseboards, around windows, and on ant trails.
Have a garden? Spray a ring around your plants to keep the slugs away.
21. What onions?
Put an open bottle of Thieves essential oil next to your cutting board next time you cut an onion. It will help to neutralize the onion’s fumes and keep your eyes tear-free.
22. Lovely lashes
23. Luscious lips
Add 1-2 drops peppermint essential oil to a tube of lip gloss. Use the wand to mix thoroughly and then apply to lips for tingly plumping action.
24. Instant pick-me-up
When you’re feeling sluggish, rub a drop of citrus or mint (or combine them with Citrus Fresh!) between your hands.
25. Get rid of hiccups
Rub a drop or two of peppermint essential oil in your palms. Cup your hands over your nose and inhale deeply until the hiccups stop.
26. No more monsters under the bed
Add 10-15 drops of a soothing essential oil like lavender to a spray bottle with water. Your child will now have their very own sleep-promoting “Monster Spray”!
27. Non-toxic nail polish remover
Next time your manicure starts to wear off, try lemongrass essential oil instead of conventional nail polish remover, which can irritate your skin and lungs.
Just add 3-4 drops to a cotton pad and remove as usual.
Just make sure you’re using non-toxic nail polish too!
28. Aromatherapy tissues
Who needs scented tissues laced with toxic synthetic fragrance when you can make your own toxin-free version? Carefully open the sides of the tissue box, and put 1-2 drops of essential oil on the inside of the flaps on each side.
Looking for an awesome set of essential oils to get you started on the right foot? Check out my favorite starter set here.
What did you think of these essential oil hacks?
Do you have any of your own to add to the list?